. . SHOP THE POST . .
So I’ve gotten a few emails the past couple months about my style + how I found it. I kinda had to laugh because I feel like at different stages in my life I’m still trying to find it!! Anyway, I thought I’d share a few tips that have helped me figure out my style hrough the years + I hope they’ll help you find your true style and what makes you feel confident + comfortable.
If you’ve followed along for awhile I’m sure you’ve figured out my go-to outfits when I haven’t been pregnantand and my favorites durning pregnancy. Dresses are defiantly a huge favorite during pregnancy and I am a lover of basics when not pregnant — jeans, tees and comfortable sneakers. So lets jump right in…
- What are your top 10 go to items : Go through your entire closet and pick out the items you wear the most or the ones you ALWAYS reach for. Now take a good look and see how they’re the same, is there a pattern? Like lots of white, bright colors or are most pieces black? Also, when picking out your favorites make sure you have a good variety of tops, bottoms, dresses and shoes so you get a good look at everything you love. Take into account those favorite pieces and try to build the rest of out wardrobe around them. (since they are your favs)
- Why : Why are the items you picked out your favorites? How do they make your feel? Most of the time our favorites are items that make us feel great about ourselves, or are comfortable. Maybe we love the color against our skin or we just flat out love the fit of the item. Now take notes when buying new items…remember the colors, and fits that you love and stick with them.
- Budget : I always say quality over quantity. Just because something is on sale doesn’t mean you need to buy it. Now if you LOVE it, get it!! I personally love to save up for that nice jacket or those basic booties that I know I will wear ALL the time and year round and get the best use out of my money. I’ve made the mistake in the past and bought items just because they were on sale and I “thought I’d maybe wear them”. But in the end I wasted money because I hardly wore them. My mom always has said, “if your not dying over it or feel amazing in it when you try something on – then don’t get it!” This has helped me a lot in making good clothing decisions.
- Know where to shop : What stores are you drawn to? Or what lookbook outfits do you fall in love with most? You might not notice it, but the stores you shop at say a lot about your persaonl style. For instance Jcrew – I die over their magazine and always find a few outfits that are screaming my name!! Their style is more preppy-basics which I love. Look at some stores like Gap, Abercrombie, Old Navy or Anthropologie. They all have their own style. Look through their lookbooks and see what you are drawn too, that will help you find your personal style. Also, already put together outfits make shopping a lot easier + it’s nice to see your style laid out.
- Dress for your body type : What are your best assets? Or what do you get complimented on the most? Play up those areas!! Like if you love your legs – get wearing all those darling skirts and shorts. Or if you have a tiny waist, A-line skirts and fit and flare dresses look amazing on you!! Or if you don’t love your stomach wear loose fitting shirts and some tighter jeans so you feel confident and never uncomfortable. BUT in the end don’t let those determine your style – love your body NOW and just work with it, because you are all beautiful inside and out!!
I hope you all know how much I appreciate your support here and through all the stages of our lives. Babies, pregnancy, motherhood, moving, ever changing my home and just enjoying life + all the friendships we have made along the way. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for letting me stay home with my littles + do something I love!! I can never thank you enough!!
xx – kails
photos: corissa ann