So I’ve been a California girl for the past 5 years and we don’t have much need for a bunch of layers. But after our trip to Salt Lake City, Utah to look for house’s I quickly realized this would be our families new reality next year.
We were in Louisville, Kentucky before California so I do have a sense of layering from those 4 years there + I forgot how much work it is to get all the little people bundled up and take it all off again!! haha. Anyways, I thought I’d share 5 tips + tricks for layering and keeping a bit of shape in between it all so you don’t feel like a huge marshmallow.
- Basics : Always start with your basic layers — these are key pieces everyone has. For example: leggings, a plain white tee, any long sleeve shirt like grey or black, and tights.
- Layering Pieces : This is the piece that you usually will end up in once your inside. Any button up tops, light blouses, super lightweight sweaters, so you know all the cozy goodness.
- Mixing Textures : So this is what can change your entire look. You can add texture with chunky sweaters, scarves, even a vest, ugg boots. Anything with texture, throw it on!!
- Hero Piece : This is you main top layer — such as a trench coat or rain coat, snow coat, or peacoat. I’ve even seen a long duster as the hero piece in not so cold places…like Cali.
- Accessories : This is always my favorite, because it just completes your whole look and depending on with what accessories you go with…again you can change your entire look by wearing a hat or beanie, adding a bright colored purse or a neutral one. Also, gloves, and sunnies are a great addition.
Well I hope these tips help you layer through out the rest of the winter season!! I am already stocking up on winter items for next from Nordstrom for myself and the little people, as I know we are all going to freeze our first winter up there. Ahhhh, it will be night and day from our usual California winters.
xx – kails
in collaboration with Nordstrom
photos: corissa ann